Faceplate is a software that provides the user with the necessary environment and a set of tools which allows user to collect and convert data into information, store it and organize access to information through various interfaces.
The influx of modern technologies provides high performance and usability of Faceplate:
Using the OTP / Erlang platform containing a set of libraries and design patterns for building scalable distributed applications in the Erlang programming language.
The all-inclusive principle, when the runtime and development environment, as well as the rest of the system's functionality, are concentrated on the resources of one server.
High degree of scalability of the solution through hot redundancy by various schemes on the fly without shutting down the system or individual nodes.
The UI design environment has a low barrier to entry. The interfaces are designed to maximize automation and simplify the developer's actions. Default values, recommendations, and examples are always offered to developer. Powerful tools for applying developers UX techniques: templating, component creation/binding/ re- binding wizards, export/import mechanisms, etc.
Faceplate allows working at all levels through the use of a web browser. Faceplate client application is a web application for the operation of which it is enough to have an Internet browser and a connection to the Faceplate server. The modern web browser is a powerful, rapidly developing environment for visualizing and animating information, which can be successfully used to visualize mnemonic diagrams.
Simplified licensing - one license per server includes all the necessary functionality to deploy working solutions.
Built-in access control system that provides the ability to create users, groups and assign permissions to them.
Expandable database of drivers for all types of connections (connections to SQL or NonSQL databases, files, data transfer protocols and other types of communications), the ability to design specific drivers.
MQTT protocol support, built-in Faceplate MQTT broker.
The "loosely-coupled" strategy. The solution provides the least connectedness between the Edge device software and the cloud (corporate data center or public cloud storage). Changes in the Edge device do not result in the need to adapt the cloud, and vice versa - changes in the cloud are not affect the Edge devices. From a cloud perspective, an Edge device is a data provider that sends data (and / or receives commands) in a specific format. In addition to the data exchange format, the cloud does not need to know anything about the Edge device software or its version. Thus, the Faceplate cloud can be integrated with the Edge devices of various manufacturers. Similarly, the Faceplate Edge device can be integrated into a cloud infrastructure other than a Faceplate cloud, such as AWS, AZURE, and Google Cloud. In general, a user's cloud project can be integrated into a number of Edge devices. An Edge device can be either a simple sensor or a complex information system based on Faceplate or other software product.
The external service controller is used to connect to external user services through structured data in JSON format or in the form of byte sets using operating system pipes, which allows developing a modular architecture of external services. For example, sending data and receiving anomaly analysis from a machine learning algorithm, running as a python script - a custom function.
Cross-platform compatibility is the ability to run Faceplate on a wide range of operating systems with support for x86 / AMD and ARM hardware platforms.
The system has a wide range of standard functions available to the user and the flexible architecture allows focusing on the client's requirements.
MQTT (message queuing telemetry transport) is an open OASIS and ISO standard (ISO / IEC 20922) lightweight, publish-subscribe network protocol, that transports messages between devices.
Examples of use on what Faceplate runs
Faceplate Edge features allow users to collect and preprocess data in close proximity to the object. In order to receive alerts and predictive diagnostics, run data analysis algorithms on the spot or send them to the server for processing. Faceplate Edge can be used as part of a Faceplate IIoT solution, and can also be integrated into any IIoT that supports the MQTT protocol with similar platforms. For a cloud perspective, an Edge device is a data provider that sends data (and / or receives commands) in a specific format. In addition to the data exchange format, the cloud does not need to know anything about the Edge device software or its version. Thus, the Faceplate cloud and Faceplate Edge device can be integrated with various devices and cloud infrastructures, such as AWS, AZURE, and Google Cloud.
Picture. FACEPLATE as EDGE
- Using ARM processors (Example - CTR 700, DELL Gateways), which ensures low power consumption.
- Ability to use physical inputs and outputs
- Ability to use as "Software PLC" (restrictions apply)
- Basic elements of building screens
- Support for subscriber / public MQTT functionality
- Support for a stack of industrial protocols (MODBUS, S7-TCP, OPC UA, etc.)
- Compact case form factor, ventilation-free cooling.
- The amount of stored data (8-32 GB)
- The number of tags (~ 500)
The server configuration is optimal for deploying a solution for using Faceplate as a SCADA system.
Picture. FACEPLATE as SCADA
- Multi-core i7 / i9 processor, at least 4 cores.
- Supporting disk arrays for data storage
- Using SSD drives
- Supported memory up to 64GB
- Supporting all Faceplate functions without restrictions
Faceplate Cloud is a PaaS solution. Thus, the entire information technology infrastructure, including computer networks, servers, storage systems, is entirely controlled by Faceplate Cloud. Faceplate Cloud features allows the customer to use platform resources, create virtual instances of Faceplate, develop and operate application projects on them, while dynamically changing the amount of consumed computing resources.
Faceplate Cloud is the best way to start using Faceplate features without additional costs for server hardware and its support. After registration, the user gets access to his personal account from where he can manage the life cycle of the Faceplate project, as well as put together a team to work on a common project.
Platform as a service (PaaS) is a cloud computing service that allow the customer to get access to the provider's information technology platforms.
- Cloud platforms of the leading companies: Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Digital Oceans
- Kubernetes hosting for container-orchestration of application deployment
- Single Sign-On technology is a technology whereby a user navigates from one section of the portal to another, or from one system to another, not connected to the first system, without re-authentication.
Faceplate Enterprise is a private version of Faceplate Cloud deployed on client computing facilities. It has all the features of Faceplate Cloud. It is also possible to develop / implement to a hybrid cloud option.
A hybrid PaaS is typically a mix of public and private deployments.
- Deployment of a Kubernetes cluster on two or more servers.
- Distributed storage and processing of data on servers included in the cluster
- Using external disk arrays for data storage
- Using multi-core i7 / i9 processor, the number of cores is at least 4.
- Servers with graphic video cards when solving problems of training models using machine learning algorithms or analyzing large amounts of data.
- Physical memory usage of at least 32 GB per server in the cluster.
Proposed network architecture solutions
"Classic" SCADA / MES - Faceplate SCADA
Centralized data storage and processing, hot standby. Everything is simple and reliable.
Picture. FACEPLATE as SCADA
The classic «SCADA» system with industrial controllers and protocols, there is everything for this, the list of supported protocols includes the most common ones, such as S7 TCP, MODBUS, OPCUA, EtherNet/IP and many others. An advanced graphical editor of mnemonic diagrams and reports in combination with the runtime environment, will help to implement an advanced user interface. The process data storage system can store data at any interval and depth, it all depends on the parameters of the technical support of the solution, etc. Everything that may SCADA implement can be done by Faceplate.
MES (manufacturing execution system), a specialized system designed to solve problems of synchronization, coordination, analysis and optimization of production. Providing interaction with external software products (ERP, accounting systems, etc.) Customizable monitoring dashboards allow you to track equipment operation, KPIs, and overall equipment efficiency (OEE).
Data Center Architecture - Faceplate Enterprise
Faceplate Enterprise is designed to support large scale business critical applications. Enterprise hardware and software configuration provides:
- High-quality service:
- Effective control and balance the workload of the system.
- Apps keep running when resources are added or removed
- System maintenance and unexpected failures result in no downtime
- Built-in security:
- All incoming network traffic is received by the load balancer router through one secure port and directed to the internal IP addresses in the firewall, inside the firewall, functional components are grouped in the DMZ
- User accounts are provided and managed centrally
- Security system is integrated
- Administrative access is isolated
- Control over the state of the software:
- Full cluster software management
- Complete management of Faceplate instances running in the cluster.
- Systems are managed and controlled as one logical unit
- Faceplate automatic fault detection mechanisms ensure high availability
Picture. FACEPLATE as FACEPLATE ENTERPRISE or hybrid cloud
Faceplate Cloud architecture
What is Faceplate Cloud? It is a fast, flexible platform for deploying application projects based on Faceplate.
Picture. FACEPLATE as CLOUD
By using the Faceplate Cloud platform, you will get access to create Faceplate projects without any cost to purchase and place equipment, platform as a service - lightweight, easy to run, and fast to launch, with flexible scalability. By using Faceplate Edge/ PLC as a data source you will get a complete solution for any range of tasks.
Data collection system from a distributed object, although distance doesn't matter for Faceplate. And if Faceplate is used as an Edge, the reliability of data delivery will be 100%. Distributed systems use protocols and solutions that have become the standard in the IIoT field.
A solution for real-time data analysis, tools anomaly detection, events/ trends future forecasting. Knowledge formation about the need of equipment preventive maintenance based on the received information.
Strategies for leveraging Faceplate capabilities for industrial assets
In the process of improving the efficiency of the enterprise, machine learning and processing of large amounts of data are a powerful tool that complements the classic approaches to operational excellence. Faceplate has the functionality for predicting equipment performance and providing information on required maintenance based on data collected from field devices.
Oil and gas
- The weekly, monthly, quarterly and a half-yearly specific performance indicators of oil pumping units, pumps can be displayed;
- Number of start-ups and shut-downs, operating hours for each type of equipment on a time range;
- Costs of electricity and other resources;
- Predictive diagnostics, analysis of key parameters to identify deviations from nominal values;
- Data collecting, processing and analyzing brings great opportunities to improve the efficiency of the enterprise;
- Mining and steel companies only use a fraction of the data they collect;
- To comply with strict environmental regulations, an artificial intelligence system can be used to reduce the negative impact of harmful processes;
- KPI performance calculations for equipment operation. Equipment operation anomaly detection through time series analysis;
- Operational display of various technological processes such as crushing, transportation, enrichment, pyro or hydrometallurgy. With obtained data technologists can analyze and adjust the process when calculating material flows.
- Continuous monitoring of events, conditions, and assessing the efficiency the production;
- Equipment’s KPI: during each shift is recorded the efficiency of the equipment, the causes of downtime. Loss analysis in a manufacturing plant, the number of defective and quality products with the definition of the defect cause. Analysis of the effectiveness of staff by shift.
- Registration and accounting of manufactured products at the enterprise;
- Collected information structured in real-time dashboards and visualizations which keep your team and management informed.
- Improving production efficiency by increasing productivity and quality of products, reducing energy consumption;
- Increasing overall equipment effectiveness, reduction of defect and food safety risks, reduction of energy costs per unit of production;
- Determine the total number of produced units, water and electricity consumption, defect rate. Provide operational active data and historical technological data regarding the status of the technological process.
- Provide manufacturing performance indicators for the selected period of time to the dispatching and administrative personnel of the plant
- Create and calculate KPI of the dependency on electricity consumption and production output data
Energetics and Transportation
- Analytics at the generation stage, combined with an understanding of the demand for energy produced, allows you to plan the optimal production of electricity.
- The platform can monitor the status of equipment and send real-time critical alerts about faults, accidents or anomalies
- Predictive maintenance provides significant economic benefits, and also extends the life of the equipment.
- Solving the problem of optimizing transportation time and reducing transportation costs
- The platform provides the opportunity to create application cases to solve tasks such as collecting and processing data on analysis of air pollution.
- Intelligent control of lighting, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems in cities. Urban product management, waste separate storage and recycling.
- These technologies improve the quality of life of urban residents